Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Winter

Winter 2001: Minnehaha falls, frozen. Me, so acclimated I'm not even wearing gloves.
I'm not going to pretend there aren't things about California that make me want to spit nails. People, for example, who actually think talking about chakras is a reasonable way to chat me up. Or endless discussions about feelings that never actually seem to result in people saying what they're feeling. Or being asked what my spirit animal is (actually, that happened in Washington, but you get the idea).

Numerous other things reconfirm that, at least when it comes to interpersonal communication, I'm East Coast to the core.

But then I read about the crazy ice storms gripping the Midwest, and remember the terrible things Midwestern winters did to my head, and realize how much worse I could have it. Which, come to think of it, is one of the few things the Midwest is consistently good for.

I'm trying to make a point of spending some time everyday barefoot on my backporch, looking at the hills across the bay, and appreciating civilized weather.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Izzy,
There's a crazy snowstorm in Salt Lake, initiated by hail and thunder and lightning. Now it's very quiet and beautiful. In this clean clean city even the snow on the roads stays white, no mud splashed snow banks to impoverish the scene.

Wolf! That's my take on your spirit animal. Are you barfing yet? In dogged pursuit of justice. You were born in the year of the dog, afterall. But you're no pet poodle. Here's a howl to you in admiration.

Mom

Isabel E said...

Mamma mia,

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole vajra-karma thing. Now wolves? You've clearly been spending too much time with hippies -- but as long as you're happy, and don't expect me to know my moon sign, I can live with it.

I hope you're enjoying the snow.

p.s. I answered seahorse, remembering Zenji.